Pages

Sunday 31 August 2014

Mecca Maxima: Mini Haul and Review




It was my 23rd birthday last Saturday, hooray! Why am I talking about my birthday? Birthday gift cards of course! Besides from the usual suspects of Myer, David Jones and Country Road, a new beauty popped up this year. A nice little Mecca Maxima gift card to the tune of a sweet $100. 

So last Sunday I went in and just wandered around swatching everything on the back of my hand in a lipstick induced trance. After I left, the back of my hand looked like a Jackson Pollock piece. I waited a week to write this post so I could use all the products everyday and see how they measured up.

Clinique Chubby Stick in Woppin' Watermelon
I am already a massive fan of the Clinique Chubby Sticks; I have about 3 floating around in my handbag, 2 stashed in my car and a couple more in my bathroom. I prefer these to lipsticks in the daytime as they are hydrating and create a natural looking lip colour without being over the top. Very similar to another chubby stick I have in Curvy Candy but minus the sparkle, Woppin' Watermelon is the perfect daytime shade of pink and I don't have a bad thing to say about it. Go pick one up right now. I'll sit here and wait, off you go.

Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Intense Black
According to Stila, this eyeliner is 'waterproof, easy to use and lasts all day', and for once a cosmetics company isn't sugarcoating things. I tested this little beauts staying power last night when I fell asleep with my makeup on after one (or five) too many Beefeater London Dry Gins with Indian Diet Tonic. And when I woke up this morning smelling of gin, Dior, and a little bit of regret, it was still in tact. That is until I rubbed my eyes and smeared it everywhere but considering that I applied it at 2.30pm Saturday and woke up 8am Sunday morning, and that is pretty good in my opinion. I usually use the Maybelline Eye Studio Master Precise Ink Pen in Black, which is a pretty good dupe at a fifth of the price of Stila. Both come in a felt tip pen style that make it so easy to use, especially when doing a fabulous cat eye. The Stila has a lot more staying power; the added feature of being waterproof and the colour is a lot more intense. I'll still continue to use the Maybelline liner for everyday outings, but for a long night out, your best bet is the Stila liner.

Nars Sheer Matte Foundation in Light 2 Mont Blanc and Nars Foundation Pump
Oh Nars, why are you that guy? You know the guy I’m talking about. That shifty guy who sells a foundation separately to the pump. You hang around with the other baddies like Estee Lauder who just don't make a pump for their foundation at all. No one, and I mean no one likes to have to carefully pour foundation on to the back of their hand to apply it with a brush. That aside, the colour of this foundation is a perfect match for me, absolutely spot on. Which is saying a lot because many foundation brands don't cater for either really dark or really light skin tones. If your one of those sun kissed, spray tanning, olive skin toned beauties, the foundation world is your oyster. Tip? DO NOT APPLY THIS WITH A BRUSH. I used my favourite, the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush and it looked dreadful. Absolutely dreadful and super streaky. It's one of those foundations where you have to get back to your inner kindergartener and apply with your fingertips. Which is super messy and I’m not a fan of, so it loses a lot of points for that. It's also a very light coverage foundation, so if you're having a bad skin day, steer clear as this foundation will not show you any mercy. 

Bonus off topic story
When typing up about Nars being that shifty guy, it reminded me of a story from my third year at Uni. I was waiting out the front of building 80 (RMIT represent!) to meet a friend for dinner after a late night economics class when i saw a father and his daughter who must have been about five, who were obviously waiting for someone as well. Then, next thing you know this guy who looks like the Unabomber in a crazy long trench coat comes up and starts talking to this little girl and her father who were both visibly disturbed. "Want me to show you something?" he said. Then he starts to open up his coat, and I obviously assume that he is going to flash them. Nope. He opens up his coat flasher style, to reveal all these pigeons. In his pockets. Pigeons in pockets. Like some sort of weird Roald Dahl story. Oh Melbourne, you are crazy charming. Emphasis on the crazy.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Aimee and Sugar. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig